Skip to main content

Full text of "Mathura A District Memoir"

See other formats


150                                          COLONEL SUTHERLAND

Mani Ram, his successor* The latter, built in the year of the chauranawe
famine, 1837 A. D., is of exceedingly beautiful and elaborate design : perhaps
the most perfect specimen ever executed of the reticulated stone tracery, for
which Mathura is famous. It has been purposely made a little  lower and
smaller than the earlier monument, the caves of which at one comer complete-
ly overhang it. The adjoining garden, which may be of even greater extent,
has a small house and enclosed court-yard, in the native style, on the bank of
the river, and in the centre, an obelisk of white stone raised on a very high and
substantial plinth of the same material with the following inscription s "Erected
to the memory of Robert Sutherland, Colonel in Maharaj Daulat Rao Scindia's
service, who departed this life on the 20th July, 1804, aged 36 years. Also
in remembrance of his son, C. P. Sutherland (a very promising youth), who
died at Hiedia on the 14th October, 1801, aged 3 years." The monument
is kept in repair by the grandson, Captain S, S. Sutherland, of the Police
Department. Colonel Sutherland was the officer whom De Boigue, on his
retirement in 1795, left in command of the brigade stationed at Mathura, one
of three that he liad raised in the service of Madho Ji Siodhia. The Mahratta
Commaiider-in-Chief, who also had his head-quarters at Mathura, was at tbat
time ooe lagu Bapu, who was probably the Senapat of whom local tradition
still speaks. In   1797 he was superseded by Perron, to whom Daulat Rao
had given the supreme command of all his forces and who thereupon establish-
ed himself at Kols as virtual sovereign of the country." In the following year
lie discharged Sutherland for intriguing with the other Mahratta chiefs, but
not long after he recovered his post through the interest of his father-in-law,
Colonel John Messing, to whose memory is erected the very fine monument in
the Catholic cemetry at Agra, which Jacquemont considered superior to the
Taj. la 1813 Sutherland, like the other British officers in Sindliia's service*
received a pension from  the  Government,  but he lived only one year to
enjoy it*

On a rising ground in the very heart of the city stands the Jama Masjid,
erected in the year 1661 A.D., by Abd-nn-Nabi Khao9 the local Governor.
The following inscription seems very clearly to indicate that it was erected
oa the rains of a Hindu temple :-

ill
ji D^^U*x j? AŁ *      O~«   }VI  sa~J  ^Ul
ljU tf*Af Ji* iS